Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 86

Little Monster had a sleep over this weekend. I had 20 hours to myself and I didn’t know what to do. I ended up watching t.v. for several hours and painted my toe nails. It was hard being alone.

I used to crave time alone. I spent most of Sunday wondering what was wrong with me but I realized that I miss my husband and nothing will change that. However, I don’t get to stop living just because he’s not here. Life keeps moving on, for all of us. I have to keep moving so that that when he gets home I’ll be ready for him. I’ll be ready to get to know him again. I will keep working on my degree and I am in the process of getting a part time job. Little Monster will be playing soccer at the end of the summer and he is so excited.

Saturday we were both in bed by 9:30 and slept in Sunday morning. It was amazing!

My homework has kept me pretty busy since the weekend. I’ve been learning Microsoft Access and I ended up having to redo my project several times because I couldn’t figure out where I was making a mistake. Once I finally understood what I needed to do I completed the project in less than an hour. I am glad to have that completed. I am going to keep working with Excel and Access as much as I can to keep my skills sharp. I wish I had taken classes that focused specifically on each of those software. Maybe I’ll do that as “extra” when I transfer to the University (not like I need any more elective classes).

Today was a wonderful day. I didn’t get enough sleep because I stayed up trying to figure out what was wrong with my project, but I was able to talk to Mr. B first thing this morning. It was only via Facebook chat, but I’ll take what I can get. He was excited that my job interview Monday went so well and that I’d be going back to work so that we can have some savings when he gets home. I followed that with some wonderful music on my drive into town (thanks to Pandora), and a good Yoga session. After Yoga my friend spotted me grabbing a snack and we had a short chat. It was good to see her randomly like that, we’ve never done that before.

Yesterday I interviewed with a company doing for a job that I’ve been doing for the last 5 years (the contract work I’ve mentioned doing). It is with a different company so I’d have to stop the contractual work. *To make this easier: the company I used to work for is Company A and the new company is Company B.* Several of the Company B’s employees are people I worked with at Company A, and the ones I know of are all people I enjoyed working with. The opportunity came by surprise. One of my friends that works there submitted my resume in January so I had given up ever hearing back, then I received an email on  the 25th from the Vice President. Company B is smaller than Company A was when I started and I’ll admit that I much prefer a smaller, more personal place to work; I like my workplace to be like another family. One of the “buzz words” on their website was Integrity. I’ll admit, I’m a sucker when people use that word. Integrity is something I consider most important. I used to say Honesty was most important, but Integrity takes it a step further—it adds the idea of being honest with yourself as well as others and always doing the right thing.

When I interviewed I was honest about everything I have going on this year; Mr. B’s R&R (I can’t wait!), Little Monster’s soccer, several appointments I have booked in June, and going to school. They couldn’t have responded better. They said I could definitely take the time off, but it would be unpaid, and that they were more than willing to work with me. Not having anything to lose did make me more bold, and I couldn’t see going to a job interview without being honest about everything I have going on, it wouldn’t be fair for someone to hire me and then for me to drop a bombshell.

I am trying to keep my homework to the evening hours to prepare to go back to work. After not working for a year, the thought of going back makes me anxious. Little Monster begged me not to work, but when I told him it meant he would get to attend Boys & Girl’s Club at school he was okay with the idea. So tomorrow I’m going to try and get B&GC set up and then I’ll know if I’ll need an actual babysitter for the rest of the school year (B&GC will end up saving me a LOT of money if it works out). I already have childcare worked out for the summer!

After I figured everything out about the Boys & Girl’s Club tomorrow I’ll send an e-mail back to the Vice President and let him know that I would like the job and what date I can start. I am so excited, nervous, and anxious.

So now, to bed…time to try and catch up on that sleep I’ve been missing.

No comments: