Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 92

My mom sent me an e-mail this morning explaining that there are 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, and 5 Sundays this coming July…that’s a whole-lot-a weekend!

It is pretty exciting that the 4th falls on a Monday, creating a 3-day weekend. For me that’s not such a big deal, but some anyone working can appreciate this.
 
Today has been such an up and down day. I’m good, moving right along and then BAM totally emotional and in tears. Now that we can’t talk very often it’s a lot harder. For me, and for Little Monster (and I imagine for Mr. B as well?).
 
I sent off two packages to Mr. B and I am very excited about the contents, I am anticipating a fun response from them.

I realized some things today, partly with the help of my fantastically amazing friends…I am having a hard time balancing my emotions and how to approach Mr. B being gone. I know, I know it’s been a full 3 months… I feel like I should have gotten a routine going by now. But the problem I’m running into is with how to include Mr. B as part of our every day lives without us being consumed by his absence (or making it more difficult for him). Little Monster wrote his first letter (sent in package) and I am hoping that Mr. B will soon send one back to him. I am also trying to balance keeping busy and spending time with Little Monster. I’m sure there is a balance there somewhere.

In an effort not to be a total downer…

Little Monster has told me some of the funniest things this week. He’s been talking about wanting to camp at Mount Rushmore when his dad gets home and the he said:

‎"Dad wouldn't want to go to Mt Rushmore when he gets home. All those faces, watching him wherever he moves? C-ree-py."

He was eating a pickle and seemed like he was enjoying it and so I asked him if he liked it and he said:

"It's actually very nutritious."

Then yesterday he was having a hard day and was crying and hugging me…squeezing me as tightly as he could and said:

“Mom, can I squeeze your arm because your boobs hurt my neck."

We also heard a jazzy song on the radio where the singer was “scat singing” and I said something about “wow, it’s scat!” (I don’t remember the song or artist, but it was modern) and Little Monster giggled and thought I was being silly. We were driving around somewhere so when we got home I played him a video of Ella Fitzgerald scatting and he thought it was so much fun that he decided jazz was his favorite music and he’s been “scatting” ever since. We did have a nice discussion about jazz and I gave him a little information about how it relates to other music (brief because he’s only 6) and he thought it was pretty fascinating.

Yes, yes, I’m indoctrinating my child young; I am teaching him to love science and music and words. He wants to be an inventor and go to “inventing school” on Mars (he has a lot of ideas for inventions too, ones I’ve never heard of before), he is constantly asking what new words mean, and he sings & dances all day. He doesn’t like reading so much, but I’m trying to teach him that when you can read you can do so many other things…and when you read you can explore whole new places with words! We’re getting somewhere. He read 2 or 3 books a day this weekend.

I know I haven’t posted pictures in a while. I just haven’t been in the mood to create. I need to get on it, I still have projects I need to finish before the end of the month.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just have to tell you that when I read about your up and downs I thought "I hear ya girl!". I'm a little over four months into my husband's unaccompanied tour and I have times like that too. (Although I DO get to Skype with him on most days) I have to remind myself that even with a routine, I'm still going to really miss him. I hope you have more good times than bad the next few months! Hang in there ;)