Sunday, January 23, 2011

97 days…

It’s that time of year… time to gear up for the annual March of Dimes’ March for Babies. 
On April 30th, 2011 I will participate in my 4th March for Babies.

I always knew about March of Dimes.  My dad had polio as a child and it’s hard to know about polio without knowing about MOD.  My oldest brother was born severely pre-mature and suffers from mental retardation and cerebral palsy as a result of his prematurity, but I never connected the research conducted by MOD with the tools that were used to save my brother’s life.  I didn’t start donating to MOD, or make the connection to their efforts to fight prematurity, until I was pregnant with my son.  It wasn’t until then that I realized the scope of MOD’s mission.  The place we banked sold some of the little stuffed animals… I didn’t actually buy one of the stuffed animals until my son was a little older, but I contributed a dollar every time I had to go into the bank.  When I was 6 months along and my little man decided to try and make an early appearance (on his daddy’s birthday)… I was able to benefit from the research that MOD has helped fund.  My doctor gave me medication to stop my labor and I was put on complete bed rest.  My son made his appearance two months later, still 1 month pre-term, but a healthy 6 lbs. 4 oz..

My Little Man; born 1 month pre-term.

I know many others whose lives have been affected by prematurity, infant death, or birth defects… and every year the number seems to grow.  I walk in the March for Babies for all of those whose lives have been changed from pre-term birth, birth defects, or the loss of a child.

I could go on and on about how wonderful March of Dimes is and how amazing it feels to be a part of the process, even if it is only a small part.

If you’d like to learn more about the March of Dimes you can visit their website.  Alternatively, you can visit my page (banner above) and read more of mine and my family’s story… you’ll also be able to make a contribution.  If you are unable to donate monetarily, please sign up and join my team to walk with me… or find your local chapter where you can get involved.

My hope, and the hope and goal of March of Dimes, is that one day all babies will be born healthy.  I know that there will always be circumstances beyond our control, but shouldn’t we make a difference if we are able?

No comments: