Sunday, October 24, 2010

Death

My son has been having a difficult time dealing with his grandfather's death. We've lived with or near my husband's godfather for the last 5 1/2 years. He died last month and my son has been very upset since then. For the first couple weeks he'd say "can we go see Papa Doc?" And then tonight he was playing on a piano and wrote a song about his Papa.

"Papa died. He was really funny. He was my grandpa and I was his grandson. I miss my Papa." That was the last version. When he started with the first version and I heard the words "my Papa died" my heart sank and I laughed because I didn't want to cry. I was already thinking about how the holidays were going to be different this year. We've spent all but one Thanksgiving of the last 5 years with Doc, and every Christmas. This year will be hard. I'm glad my son is at least finding a constructive way of dealing with his grief... by singing.

"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." - Thoreau
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: