Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 29

I am still overly emotional today. In Psychology the week’s chapter is about stress.  I have been learning a lot about dealing with stress the last couple of years and so I am really glad for this weeks’ chapter.  Lately I’ve been able to catch myself mid-panic and say “Hold on a second!” and reevaluate the situation; if there’s something I can change, I make a change, if I can’t make a change…I breathe and let it go.  I started doing this after my sleep group meetings last year, it is one of the best tips I’ve ever received.  My sleep coach told us that if thoughts pop up while we’re trying to sleep we need to breathe and “put them to bed” realizing that worrying about them all night long will not make us feel better, so I’ve decided to incorporate this into my daily life.

Basically, I’m trying to put into practice the following words:

"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"
Shantideva, 8th Century Indian Buddhist Scholar

While reading my psychology chapter today, and again in the middle of an emotional moment…I had a faint memory of a comic that I used to read when I lived with my parents, I used to read this comic every morning.  With some searching, I was able to find what I was looking for…

rose is rose0 let it be tree

This is from the comic “Rose is Rose.”  Whenever I saw strips about Rose’s “let things be” tree I would clip them out.  I wish I could find my box with the clippings.

I suppose in my own way I have an internal “let things be” tree.

 

Little Monster gave me a huge compliment tonight, and I don’t think he even realized that he did.  He asked me what made people bad and I told him that here are a lot of different reasons.  He said “I think people are bad because their moms got lost.”  He told me that mom’s are supposed to teach their kids to be good so they don’t go to jail.  It is so interesting to “hear” how his mind works.

A lot happened today…and nothing happened, all at the same time.  How is that possible?

No comments: