Wednesday, September 29, 2010


I like coffee.  I really like coffee.  It is even possible that I love coffee.

After breakfast, as I am enjoying a full belly, my first thought is about how great it would be to have a nice cup of coffee.  After lunch, I again think of coffee as I enjoy the satisfaction of my meal. Coffee really would make it that much better.  But I've been holding off.  I haven't had a coffee maker for a very long time... perhaps the entire time I've been married (over 8 years). Yes, I could go to Starbucks, but their coffee isn't the best, and to get something with enough milk and sugar to mask the taste of their too dark brew I have to spend about $4 per cup.  That is unrealistic.  McDonald's is completely out of the question.  Ever since they switched from to their own brand, their coffee is like drinking oil (it's always brewed too long with beans that were cooked too much to begin with).  My favorite coffee is Seattle's Best; particularly Henry's Blend.  Maybe it's because I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and want to support a "local" coffee chain (and yes, I know Starbucks started in Seattle)... or maybe it's because my parents taught me how to choose my coffee a particular way... or maybe it's all that time drinking coffee and learning about coffee in college that made me so particular.

Here's what I know about coffee:
dark roast = less caffeine + more acidic
light roast = more caffeine + less acidic


Seattle's Best Coffee... I'm sad to say that it was bought by Starbucks in 2003.  They just recently "re-branded" SBC, and I am hoping that this is not the signal of more drastic changes.  We don't need another "Starbucks" I want SBC. I just hope we don't end up with crappy, over-roasted beans like they have at Starbucks.  I shouldn't be surprised that Starbucks bought SBC, SBC has the superior flavor.  Maybe Starbucks' goals for SBC will help SBC out without changing too much?  I can hope.


I think it's time to get a coffee maker... I can't afford $1 a cup every day.  But then again... not having a coffee maker does result in less overall coffee consumption.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see what I decide.

For now, I am going to my Sleep Group... this will not take away my desire for coffee.

What is your favorite coffee?

No comments: