Friday, August 27, 2010

Health Goals

 
I feel pretty lazy when my hubby leaves for PT in the morning, and even more so when he gets home and I'm still in bed sleeping.  I realize that it's been longer than I care to remember since I last worked out and I need to do something about that.  One of the biggest problems I've had working out is that I've never had a goal, I'm not working on losing weight or on any feats of strength.  I would like to run a marathon (end goal), but I need to do other exercise to work myself up to that (for starters I need to work on my heart rate).  This morning I decided that I'd base my goal off the Army Physical Fitness Test Standards for women in my age group.  For a perfect score I would need to do 50 push-ups, 82 sit-ups, and run 2 miles in 15:48 (3 month goal).  For a passing score I would need to to 17 push-ups, 45 sit-ups, and run 2 miles in 20:30 (1 month goal).  First thing I need to do is figure out where I am now.

I also have to work on a diet conducive to a healthy work-out.  My biggest difficulty in this lies in carbohydrates.  I have to work at adding carbs that are low on the glycemic index that are also gluten-free.

Getting enough carbs while being gluten-free can be done.  I need to compare the gluten-free supplements to the glycemic index and then start creating meal plans based off the cross reference.

While I had the best intentions, and did spend the first 4 months of the year completely gluten-free, I have not kept up with a gluten-free diet and I am paying for it physically.  I am still on a low-gluten diet, but I need to work back to being completely gluten-free.

So here's my plan:
-100% gluten-free diet for myself. Time: 1 month
-Work out 20 minutes per day. Time: 1 week
-Run at least once per week. Time: 1 month
-Check myself against my 1 month goal. Time: 1 month

No comments: