Friday, July 9, 2010

Life Is Change

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Nothing in the world is permanent, and we're foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we're still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it. If change is of the essence of existence one would have thought it only sensible to make it the premise of our philosophy.
W. Somerset Maugham

I was thinking tonight about how this blog was all supposed to be about the ups and downs of life... and then somewhere along the lines I deviated from my original thoughts/goals. So, in lieu of all the changes in my own life, let's go back and talk about change.


Life is all about change.  Things change somewhat consistently and we just have to be ready.  We can't fight change, that only makes it more difficult, but I think in someways we can limit the negative impact if we embrace change and "let it roll."

I've been fighting change. "If I pretend it's not coming, will it go away?"  How absurd!  Yes.  I am afraid of change right now.  It terrifies me.  So much has changed already this year and I just want to be done with it and start creating some routine.  But my change is not over and decisions must still be made.  I've decided that decisions are more painful the more I fight against making them.  I say "embrace the change", but it reminds me of my husband telling me an Army phrase, "embrace the suck."  Sometimes "change" and "suck" are the same things... but eventually even the "suck" seems meaningful, just depending on how you handle yourself and what you learn from each situation.

All the changes in the last couple weeks have been absolutely horrid, but the end result is that my son and I are moving to live with my husband for the last few months of his training and then moving back home with him for a few months before he deploys.  These changes that I've fought have resulted in more time with my family together!

What changes are you facing right now?

1 comment:

Here I Am Carrie said...

Hello Nikky, I am just out exploring here as I have just made some changes in my world and started blogging here recently. I came across you and this blog about making changes. One must except change in order to move forward. But during those changes always try and stay grounded. I hope all your changes are bring better days ahead.