Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 188

Today was my “can-do” day.  I started at 3:45.  I woke up with a belly ache because I keep forgetting to buy lactaid.

My phone was on silent, but I happened to wake up about 2 minutes after my husband sent me a message, so I was able to chat with him for a little bit. I tried to go back to sleep… I couldn’t.  So, I decided to get on Rosetta Stone and finish preparing for my Spanish class this fall.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well I’m doing.  I found a cool site called Span¡shD!ct. I was able to review and test my vocabulary knowledge a little better than I have been able to with Rosetta Stone (and maybe I just haven’t figured out RS yet).

After I had spent a couple hours working on my Spanish vocabulary, I decided I needed to review my class schedule and see if I could arrange it any better than I had so far. I was trying to figure out what class to add in case my request for my core math substitute was accepted and I discovered that I could not only add a Psych elective, but get rid of the dreaded Saturday class for a fabulous Tues/Thurs class!  So, I still have to call my advisor on Monday and find out if I still need another core science class and if I don’t then I have to figure out another elective (I’ve discovered that a lot of upper division psych classes are at the same time on Tues/Thurs, who thought that was a good idea?).

I spent a lot of time working on my vocabulary and my schedule.  Little Monster didn’t wake up until almost 10 so I had a lot of time alone to work on those projects in silence.  After he got up we got our day underway.

I drove into town a couple hours early for a birthday party and got a set of 4 double-point knitting needles to attempt making a hat.  If it works I’ll post a photo when I’m done.  I’ve only just finished the first row and it was a PAIN, but I am hopeful it will get better.

On my second stop in town I got back to my car and it wouldn’t start…I waited in the parking lot for a while hoping the person in front of me would come back to give me a jump, but the person next to me had one of those cool portable battery jump things and got me started.  I went straight to the closest auto shop and got a new battery.  Batteries are expensive!  It has been 3-4 years since I last replaced my battery so it didn’t surprise me.  When I went to pay the guy made a comment about my make-shift aluminum-foil fix for my loose fitting terminals.  He made the comment like it was the craziest thing he’d seen and I explained that was my fix 3-4 years ago when they were loose.  He laughed about it, but he replaced the terminals for me.

The birthday party was a lot of fun.  I’m very glad we made it, even if we were late from the car situation.

The best thing about today? I didn’t freak out when the car wouldn’t start.  I was frustrated at first, but I was calm.  Afterwards I was pretty darn impressed with how calmly I handled the situation.  I got frustrated, that passed super quickly and I started making things happen, I didn’t sit and cry or freak out.  I’ve been practicing keeping my emotions in check and I feel like I’m finally getting somewhere.  Mr. B asked if that meant I was growing up…I told him I was growing as a person but I never want to completely grow up.

No comments: